Question regarding dist-git aesthetics with branches

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 22:33:29 UTC 2010

My opinion is that a branch called F-<n>/master is the nicest thing.
Actually, all else being equal, I'd probably go for it being called
f<n>/master, since gratuitous caps and punctuation in branch names is
not a normal git convention.  (But I only really care about the
structure of the names, not the spelling.)

I don't really care whether you have an F-<n>/HEAD alias to that or
not.  I don't really care whether fedpkg provides front-end features
to git that relieve one of knowing the actual branch name or not.
Personally, I'd always look at the canonical git repository to see
what the branches are called, and use those full names directly.

Thanks,
Roland