Question regarding dist-git aesthetics with branches

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Jul 20 22:32:45 UTC 2010

Roland McGrath wrote:
> My first suggestion was not to have the magical leading "F-<n>/"
> matching at all.  Rather, just have fedpkg front-end commands set and
> show the state of branch.SOMEBRANCH.fedora-target settings.  e.g.,
> 'fedpkg checkout foo' would both do 'git checkout foo' and set the
> branch.foo.fedora-target automatically.

+1 to this. After switching from CVS to git for my own projects over the
course of the past year I am beginning to see the high value in
branching with git. Linus' suggestion of using branches everywhere is
something hard to grasp at first but it is the right direction.

Here's one nice feature I'd like to see for a simple scenario of when
upstream releases a new stable version:

1. Edit the 'master' branch spec file.
2. git commit my change.
3. git rebase my F-* branches to master.
4. Submit my builds!

Keeping separate directories per release seems cumbersome and I just
submitted my first package yesterday. You guys have been doing far too
much work with the current method of package upkeep. :P