dist-git wordsmithing wanted

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Wed Jul 21 13:31:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 06:34 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:38:12PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > It was suggested to keep the Makefile that exists in every package
> > module/branch in CVS right now, but set it up so that any Make command
> > issued would print a reminder to the user that the Make system has been
> > retired and to use fedpkg.  I could use some word smithing on this
> > message.  What I have right now is this:
> >
> > $ make tag
> > Make system retired, please use fedpkg.  See fedpkg --help
> >
> > Suggestions on what to put in here?
> >
> I agree with roland and hans about the necessity of this but if you do go
> ahead.  Probably want to say:
>
>   make is no longer used to build packages.  Use fedpkg instead.
>     yum install fedora-packager
>     fedpkg --help
>
> Or:
>
>   make is no longer used to build packages.  See:
>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedpkg

I like this idea, iff it is the message being put in the Makefiles
before cvs.fedoraproject.org goes readonly and dist-cvs is phased out,
so that everybody using old CVS checkouts will eventually run into
something like this:

   $ make tag
   Error: Make is no longer used to build packages.  Use fedpkg instead.
          See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedpkg for details.
   $

As to Makefiles in the new dist-git repos, I still strongly prefer not
having any Makefiles there at all.