[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 21 15:29:40 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> said:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> said:
> >> And as the general rule goes "native configuration breaks legacy
> >> configuration" so if a native systemd $service file does exist than
> >> changing service via chkconfig no longer will work.
> >
> > As an admin, this is crap.  Where does this "general rule" come from?
> > As strong desire to piss off the people that actually use your software?
>
> So "different == crap" ?

Different for no good reason (other than to break legacy configuration)
is crap.  Providing multiple interfaces, one to manage some services and
one to manage the others, is major crap.

> Seriously an admin that refuses to learn anything new ("omg it isn't
> the same as I have been doing for the last 10 years)  he should really
> consider changing job / profession.

This isn't about managing one system; it's about managing lots of
systems and now one is different (but only for some services, who knows
which) for no good reason.

> Changes aren't bad for the sole reasons of being changes.

Change for the sake of change is always a bad sign of "let's reinvent
the wheel".  How hard would it be to provide backwards-compatible
chkconfig and service commands?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>