[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 21 17:27:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21.07.10 13:12, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:04:39PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > ls /lib/systemd/system/
> > To enable service ( chkconfig $service on )
> > systemd-install enable $service.service
> > To disable service ( chkconfig $service off )
> > systemd-install disable $service.service
>
> I don't care what specific name you chose, but "systemd-install" is not a
> very administrator-friendly choice. In what way is disabling a service
> installing systemd?

It's called systemd-install, not install-systemd. "systemd-" is the
common prefix for many of the systemd tools (though not all).  How very
discoverable.

I am pretty sure there'll be folks who finds issues with every name we
pick. I am not going to play the game of making everybody happy. Sorry.

And in this case, where it's clearly a matter of taste and bike-shedding
I probably shouldn't even have bothered to even reply to this mail of
yours.

> Having admin-friendly names (like "service foo start") is important for
> mindshare.

Well, I believe these ones are admin friendly. But well, If people
disagree then I guess we have to agree to disagree on this.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.