[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jul 22 02:34:30 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering writes:

> On Wed, 21.07.10 20:08, Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Normally, we don't want a service to be started just because the package has
>> been installed:
>>

> Yepp, which is why I said "very low-level ones", i.e. as low-level as
> for example udev, which you really want to be running.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for udev to come up as soon as Anaconda
installs the rpm on a freshly-partitioned and formatted disk, before the
rest of the system gets installed.

Or, when Anaconda is in the middle of updating a system from a previous
version of Fedora.

Existing udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d may result in udev attempting to
execute commands or scripts that have not yet been updated from a previous
fedora release. Hillarity ensues. Or, some of these rules may not yet be
installed, in the case of a fresh install. More hillarity ensues.