Partial mass rebuild for Python 2.7 coming soon (I hope)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 06:00:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 20:02 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> I'm planning to do a partial mass-rebuild for Python 2.7.
>
> This would cover all Python 2 users within the distribution, roughly
> 1000 src.rpms.
>
> Some notes can be seen at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7/MassRebuild

[snip]

- IRC chat with nirik, pjones and others confirmed not to wait for gold
- the infrastructure outage took somewhat longer that expected, so I
didn't start until about 6pm EDT iirc.
- The mass-rebuild script is running, and has done about 600 out of 1000
packages.  All of this is into dist-f14-py27-rebuild, so it won't hit
rawhide until rel-eng push it there.
- We're at a roughly 50:50 success/fail rate
- build ordering was much more important than I hoped; most of the
failures in this run seem to be due to incomplete deps in root.log.  I
intend to retry these from the now-existing CVS tags, with a better
build ordering (but I need to sleep first).
- numpy is segfaulting during %check; am waiting on a gdb build to
finish (linked against 2.7) before I debug; this blocks pygtk2 which
blocks various things
- I've applied some fixes directly to some packages to get things to
build.  I hope my changes are acceptable.
- Sorry about all of the email notification spam some of you will have
received

Notes:
- There was a snag with python-nose: I needed to cherrypick 2.7 compat
fixes from upstream: DONE
- There are some loops in the dep graph: python-nose and python-jinja2
both BR: python-sphinx  but are in the BR for that package.  I've turned
off doc generation for these for now; am waiting on repo to rebuild
before I can build python-sphinx (deps appear to be ready).

[snip]

Hope this makes sense
Dave