[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 22 12:18:01 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> Or to turn this around: many folks parse the output of ifconfig. And
> that's just wrong on so many levels. We try to do better and actually
> provide you with a proper interface for people who want to parse our
> output.

For a counter-example: the LVM2 commands output human readable info by
default, but have a -C argument to output colon separated info instead.
There isn't a "vgdisplay", "vgshow", etc., each showing similar info but
in different formats.

Having multiple, similar-named commands will only result in admin
frustration as they run each one they remember in turn until they get
the output they need.  The command set needs to be as simple as
possible, with arguments to adjust behavior (e.g. -v for verbose/more
info, -vv for even more info, -C for parseable output, --now to make a
change take effect immediately).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>