[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 22 15:00:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 04:18:34PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Fedora. Now, who's right? It's unlikely that we can figure that out for
> sure, given that Fedora is a lot of things to a lot of people, so our
> two opposite opinions even out in a zero sum game.
> Oh, if we only had a committee that would take steering decisions in the
> area of engineering! [1]

Please read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Acceptance.

  Acceptance by FESCo is a sanity check, presumed in most cases to be a
  formality, to ensure that new features compliment Fedora's guidelines and
  is manageable, prior to publicizing as officially targeted for the next
  release.

It is not, in fact, an endorsement in the area of engineering. Feature
approval is a a way of saying: okay, that looks worth trying. But it may
turn out that there are problems not anticipated in the initial proposal,
once the feature has wider exposure. That's not a *problem* -- it's part of
the process.

If those issues can't be addressed in a reasonable way (where "this is going
in like this, so stop resisting change is nowhere close to reasonable),
that's why there's a contingency plan.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>