[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 15:42:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:49:50 +0200
> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>
> > 1. Parallelization: we can completely get rid of any serialization of
> > startup. We can start *every* signle daemon at the same time in one
> > big step, regardless whether one of them needs another. i.e. we can
> > start avahi at the same time as dbus at the same time as syslog at
> > the same time as nscd, although every single one of them might want
> > to connect to another one in this list and in traditional thinking
> > they hence would have needed to be started one after the other, so
> > that every service using another services can be sure it can talk to
> > the one it needs. I mean, how awesome is that? We can completely
> > remove *any* kind of serialization from daemon startup.
>
> how do you deal with circular dependencies in this case?
> I mean what will happen ? Will all services just deadlock?
> Malfunction ? Anything that guarantees correct initialization and
> behavior ?

In addition to circular deps, have any studies been done on disk
contention when you just start everything all at once? If we're not
careful we could actually increase boot time in some scenarios.  I guess
one way to check would be to go through all your init scripts and add a &
to the end of the start line?

	-Mike