[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Jul 22 16:48:31 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering píše v Čt 22. 07. 2010 v 18:35 +0200:
> If a service A uses functionality provided by a service B which in turn
> uses functionality provided by A then things willbreak regardless
> whether systemd is used or not.
>
> Cyclic dependencies cause deadlocks. Introducing systemd has little
> effect on that. It won't make the situation worse, and it won't make
> itmuch better either.
<snip>

> Or in even other words: this is a theoretical problem, not a practical
> one, and orthogonal to the problem set systemd tries to solve.
Not at all.  If, there is a circular dependency between, say, syslogd
and dbus, with the old system:
- syslogd attempts to use dbus, which fails
- syslogd can detect the situation
- syslogd can choose to ignore it (or retry later) and complete startup
- dbus starts
- dbus uses syslog to say it has started successfully
- system boots normally
- [syslogd optionally reconnects to dbus]

I don't know whether this currently happens with Fedora, but it is not
at all irrelevant and systemd could indeed make the situation much
worse.
    Mirek