[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:11:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> Looking at what Windows and MacOS do in this area is probably
> healthy. Both systems rearrange sectors on disk and parallelize as much
> as possible. I think that's bascially a good recipe we should follow
> too. systemd caters for the latter, we need kernel fixes to cater for
> the former.

Have you had some discussions with people who have a good
understanding of the kernel I/O scheduler about looking at this work
load as an optimization target?

Also, thinking worse case scenario.  If in the rawhide runup if the
release management team find the disk I/O scheduling  is a significant
problem when many of our default services "go native."  Would it be a
reasonable fallback to flip back some of the services to sysinit style
scripts by default?  I'm not suggesting it will be a significant
problem (nor am I putting my neck out and defining what significant
means here...) but its good to have an understanding of where rough
edges are anticipated and to have a fallback plan if the kernel
scheduling can't get fixed in the pre F14 time scale.

-jef

-jef