[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Alexander Boström abo at root.snowtree.se
Thu Jul 22 19:26:13 UTC 2010

ons 2010-07-21 klockan 09:30 -0800 skrev Jeff Spaleta:

> I'm not part of the zero regression fanclub. But I'd like to help do
> what is reasonable to minimize the frustration of introducing a new
> way of doing things. The deprecation warnings are reasonable to me. We
> aren't going to reduce that frustration to zero of course. But we sure
> as hell aren't going to blunt the unavoidable pitchforks by telling
> sysadmin to just suck it up.  I'd like to find a way to sell them on
> short term pain for long term gain from the sysadmin point of view.

I'm a sysadmin and I welcome improvements in software even if it means I
have to change how I do things. I really do have bigger things to worry
about than some small change in some command line tool.

However, I agree with Chris Adams, make things backwards-compatible when
it's practical. Putting some wrapper code in chkconfig is exactly the
right thing to do. It should be simple (it doesn't have to be perfect,
it can ignore --level for example) and it would keep a lot of shell
script from breaking.

> -jef"I'd tell you to go out and hug a sysadmin but that probably just
> get you punched"spaleta

"Beware of the sysadmin!" :D

/Alexander