[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:46:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 15:39, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Horst H. von Brand
> <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
>> Great to know about that. And yes, it  is extremely relevant for a sysadmin
>> to know how to tickle the system so it spits out awk(1)-able logs and stuff.
>

> Hmm... can these tools learn to prefer a certain format when they are
> piped into another program and then prefer a different format when
> they are just outputting to an active console. And then the preferred
> behaviour can be overridden when specific commandline arguments are
> present?  Don't other tools exhibit this sort of functionality?
>
> foo show | awk    would assume one line awkable output
> foo show            would assume human readable
> foo show -1         would force one line awkable output
> foo show -v | awk         would force human readable into awk

I have seen this done with a couple of GNU tools in the past. The
problems that usually stopped this was that too many strange consoles
seem to be a pipe at somepoint and so it spits out the wrong format at
the wrong time. It is usually easier to just add a flag like : --long
to get the detailed stuff and have a default of it being scriptable
output.

> or some such.
>
> -jef
> --