[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 23:08:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:21:59PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>   On 07/22/2010 06:37 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Personally, speaking as a person_and_  a sysadmin, it would be
> > worthwhile to have a big freakin button somewhere that allowed me to
> > disable all native systemd config files and let me run sysinit style
> > files when the situation demands... ie crap like puppeted
> > configurations. It doesn't have to be the default but something that
> > lets me get Fedora 14 into my existing local managed environment and
> > start the transition process to native systemd on the timescale that
> > makes sense in context of that local management infrastructure.
>
> I think it's time to re-inform everyone since they seemed to be so
> focused on systemd and have completely forgot about upstart.
>
> Nobody has said anything that upstart was being deprecated nobody!
>
> However Lennart has mentioned before he already has created a patch
> which makes upstart parallel installable with systemd but somehow nobody
> noticed that in the discussion probably due to that fact they were to
> focused on systemd and all the doom it brings.
>
> FESCO made sure that we could back out of this if it all went south and
> what do you think the fallback is ;)
>
> So we can all be on the same page if you dont want to use systemd you
> are not being forced to do so.
>
> Systemd might be the default in F14 but upstart is still alive and kicking.
>
> All you have to do is to install the upstart package after his patch has
> landed ( Casey already had OK the patch their just waiting for OK from
> Bill which is on vacation or was ) and add this line on the kernel
> command line "init=/sbin/upstart" and everything will continue to work
> as it always has.
>
> In short no systemd doom of horror will rain upon ye ;)
>
> It should be in every sysadmins capability adding the package and add
> the kernel parameter.
>
> Now that everybody has been (re)informed we can go back on focusing
> working out these issues together without any negativity on any ones behalf.

This may not be true.  No packaging guidelines have been put forth
for systemd yet so I cannot know:

* if we continue to require sysVinit scripts in the guidlines, this is true.
* If we don't, then sysadmins that have to install packages without sysvinit
  scripts will have to deal with writing their own init scripts.

-Toshio