[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Jul 23 01:30:40 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 22.07.10 15:19, Simo Sorce (ssorce at redhat.com) wrote:

[...]

> > Bad example, it may make sense if you have a single host, but if you
> > have multiple HTTP servers, you want the one that died to stop answering
> > until it is back up and running and ready to server requests.
> >
> > The last thing you want is to have a client wait forever because the
> > systemd doesn't kill the socket but apache is not able to properly
> > restart (say for a configuration mistake).

> Well, not everything makes sense in all contexts. If you have a fallback
> web server in place then you don't need this trick. But I am pretty sure
> there are more web serving devices on this planets that do no failover
> like you suggest then there are that do this. And for those, which
> otherwise have no defined fallback path it is certainly really awesome
> if they can just restart apache if it crashes and can rest assured that
> they won't lose any request except the one apache actually crashed on.

Sorry, but what if the configuration got screwed up, and <whatever daemon>
just won't start properly? Was replaced by a broken version which crashes
on startup? Or gets into a loop (or just does something very timeconsuming
sometimes) before being ready to answer? This _needs_ answers.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513