[HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:57:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:33, Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 10:42 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Wed, 21.07.10 22:13, Chuck Anderson (cra at WPI.EDU) wrote:
>>

>>> Well, there is some merit in the already stated argument for having
>>> good UI design.  In this example, you could have used long-standing
>>> precedent of using -v -vv -vvv (or -q -qq -qqq, or --verbose=N)
>>> arguments instead of "status" "show" "check".  Now you've created new
>>> lore of needing to know when to use "status" vs. "show" vs. "check",
>>> what the differences are between them, and what their order of
>>> increasing verbosity is.
>>
>> Well, I think good UI means that you distuingish computer parsable and
>> human readable tools. "status" is human readable. "show"/"check" are
>> computer-parsable.
>>

> I would recommend having 'status' maintain the same semantics as
> 'service foo status'. The new names aren't sufficiently more
> understandable to warrant breaking from long established naming scheme IMO.
>
> Generally I think maintaining similar CLI behavior with 'service' for
> common functionality is a good thing. Which situation is more desirable?
>
> Situation 1:
> Ted: "I heard systemctl is kind of replacing service..."
> # systemctl libvirtd status
> Unknown command 'libvirtd'
>
> Ted: "Huh? Oh, must need command first"
> # systemctl status libvirtd
> Could not find unit '/etc/systemd/libvirtd'
>
> Ted: "Whaa? <looks in /etc> I guess I need to specify the whole file?"
> # systemctl status libvirtd.service
> <semi-verbose output>
>
> Ted: "WTF!? I just want the status output! Do I need to parse all this?
> systemd/fedora sux"

Hey you know Ted too. He's the guy who mailed us a lighter and a bag
full of poop in 1998... since it was do it yourself Unix.

I have to say the best Command Line UI I have had to deal lately is
cobbler. The commands are laid out nicely and if you fuck up you can
see a long list of options and how they should be used.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.