Python 2.7 rebuild: maintainer help needed (please!)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 23 18:44:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 14:07 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:

[snip]

> If the failure happens in "build.log" you may have to do some
> investigation/patching.  Sometimes it's as simple as a hardcoded "2.6"
> in a %files manifest that needs to be generalized (e.g. to "2.*")
>
> Some notes on Python 2.6 -> 2.7 differences can be seen here:
> http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html#porting-to-python-2-7
>
> If you run into difficulties, let me know (I'm on #fedora-python on
> Freenode as "dmalcolm", or send a reply to this email).
>
> Currently rawhide still has python 2.6, so you have to build into the
> target "dist-f14-py27-rebuild" i.e.
>
>   koji build [options] dist-f14-py27-rebuild SRPM-OR-URL
>
> The way I've been doing these manual rebuilds is to run this from a CVS
> checkout of "devel":
>   koji build dist-f14-py27-rebuild $(make cvsurl)
> so that it rebuilds from the CVS tag into the correct
> "dist-f14-py27-rebuild" target.

Note that this python 2.7 target is slightly ahead of rawhide.  Rawhide
still has 2.6

If you want to test your fixes before committing to CVS, you can do
 $ make srpm
to get a test src.rpm with your changes.

Then use:
 $ koji build --scratch dist-f14-py27-rebuild your-test.src.rpm
to do a throwaway ("scratch") build against the python 2.7 stack.

If it works, then commit and tag your changes in cvs, then do a
 $ koji build dist-f14-py27-rebuild $(make cvsurl)
to build from the new CVS tag against the 2.7 stack.

Hopefully when the 2.7 stack is working well enough we can pull it into
rawhide.

Dave