[HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jul 25 06:34:55 UTC 2010

Greetings.

first it seems that systemd-sysvinit needs to add a:

Provides: sysvinit-userspace

To avoid the current conflicts/upgrade problems:

---> Package upstart-sysvinit.x86_64 0:0.6.5-7.fc14 set to be installed
--> Processing Conflict: upstart-sysvinit-0.6.5-7.fc14.x86_64 conflicts systemd-sysvinit
--> Processing Conflict: systemd-sysvinit-4-3.fc14.x86_64 conflicts upstart-sysvinit
Error: systemd-sysvinit conflicts with upstart-sysvinit

I built a local systemd-sysvinit and updated and did some testing.

First it seems that my boot would fail. It was unable to find or run a
'default.target' and would hang. Unfortunately it advises you to check
the logs, but since syslog isn't up yet and you can't do anything to
look at dmesg thats not very helpfull. ;(

If there is no /etc/systemd/system/default.target could we fall back to
a single user target?

Also, in my switchover, I got no getty's setup by default. Happily I
was able to figure out how to add them here by looking at the FAQ (once
I found it. ;)

Does systemd allow you to query for root password before doing single
user?

With upstart/sysvinit you can do a 'chkconfig --list | grep 3:on' or
the like to get a in order list of services. Is there something similar
for systemd? I ask because I see people who have problems booting and
often can see the last service that did work before the hang, then can
look at the order and find out the trouble service. If systemd is just
starting them all, is there any way to debug what one didn't finish or
was next in the order?

The shutdown/reboot commands don't seem to wall by default or output
anything. You type them and the machine goes down. Could you at least
add a "Shutting down system at 2010-07-25 xx;xx;xx" or something?
With sysvinit/upstart the command would return back to a prompt and you
could logout or do some few things before the machine was totally down.
It's anoying to have to kill your ssh manually instead of being able to
logout gracefully.

Whats the status on selinux integration? We must get that working
before release if it's going to be default...

As a side note, "systemd" is an unfortunate name, google wise. It took
me a while to find it's home page for the FAQ. ;(

Anyhow, I sure hope we can get all the issues ironed out in time for
F14. If not, we can always try again next cycle. I personally really
want to make sure things are as stable and working and clear as we can
make them before committing to making this default.

kevin