[HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 00:53:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 17:45 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> It also doesn't seem that systemd is yet kicking in as the default for
> the live builds. Even though the installed systemd-units package is
> systemd-units-4-3.fc14.x86_64 , indicating a version new enough to be
> intended to be the default was available, systemd-units is the *only*
> systemd package installed, and upstart-sysvinit-0.6.5-7.fc14 is
> installed, so it seems upstart still gets to be the default. Not sure if
> that's another packaging issue, or just that the live spin kickstart
> file needs to be changed.

Addendum - I just checked spin-kickstarts and AFAICT it doesn't
explicitly specify an init system, I guess it relies on dependencies.

I note that initscripts has an explicit dependency on upstart:

%define with_upstart 1%{nil}
if with_upstart
Requires: upstart >= 0.6.0
%else
Requires: SysVinit >= 2.85-38
%endif

seems like something that should be changed. readahead,
system-setup-keyboard and vpnc also have direct dependencies on upstart,
presumably because they (I think incorrectly) include upstart-style
scripts in their main packages rather than separating them into a
-upstart subpackage.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey