[HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 07:42:21 UTC 2010

2010/7/27 Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net>:
> On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 10:31 +0100, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

>> > No.  If that were the criterion, update-mime-database would belong
>> > in /sbin .
>> >

>> The FHS puts it like this:
>>
>> (a) "/bin contains commands that may be used by both the system
>> administrator and by users, but which are required when no other
>> filesystems are mounted (e.g. in single user mode). It may also contain
>> commands which are used indirectly by scripts."
>>
>> (b) "/sbin contains binaries essential for booting, restoring,
>> recovering, and/or repairing the system in addition to the binaries in
>> /bin."
>>
>> So if the intent is that systemd will eventually be invoked (indirectly
>> by some script/daemon) by users this seems justified by (a). On the
>> other hand the page has this to say on "init":
>>
>> "The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /sbin if
>> the corresponding subsystem is installed: ...
>> init"
>>
>> It's arguable though whether this refers to SysV's init or is intended
>> to be more general.
>>
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#BINESSENTIALUSERCOMMANDBINARIES
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SBINSYSTEMBINARIES
>
> A hard link or symlink at /sbin/init is needed because tools look for it
> there.  However, I think the main "systemd" executable belongs in /bin.
> I read (b) as a subdivision of the category established by the previous
> sentence: "Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
> commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."  systemd
> is not (going to be) root-only, hence it doesn't go in */sbin.  The
> right comparison would be to /bin/dbus-daemon.
>
> --
> Matt

i do not understand how a daemon (like e.g. dbus-daemon) qualifies as
"/bin : Essential user command binaries (for use by all users)" (taken
from fhs 2.3).  one could argue if a daemon qualifies as "command".
especially since it seems it has to be run before /usr is mounted it
is never getting executed by (all) the users.
>From a usability point of view it is exactly those kinda commands i do
not want in the user path because a user itsself should never have to
execute it.

to me it sounds more like: /sbin : System binaries. If the system
doesent need it why do we start it that early?

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl