[HEADS-UP] systemd is now the default init system in rawhide

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Jul 27 07:55:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 09:42 +0200, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> i do not understand how a daemon (like e.g. dbus-daemon) qualifies as
> "/bin : Essential user command binaries (for use by all users)" (taken
> from fhs 2.3).  one could argue if a daemon qualifies as "command".
> especially since it seems it has to be run before /usr is mounted it
> is never getting executed by (all) the users.

The next sentence says, "/bin contains commands that may be used by both
the system administrator and by users, but which are required when no
other filesystems are mounted (e.g. in single user mode)."  systemd
qualifies on both counts: it may be used by users, and it is needed
before other filesystems are mounted.

> From a usability point of view it is exactly those kinda commands i do
> not want in the user path because a user itsself should never have to
> execute it.

Messing up the distinction between */bin and */sbin in the name of
cleaner path completion is not progress.

> to me it sounds more like: /sbin : System binaries. If the system
> doesent need it why do we start it that early?

The system does need systemd.  Users also need it (that is, once the
envisioned user session-management capability is added).

--
Matt