HowTo fix multi-module maven javadoc builds

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 08:27:40 UTC 2010

Hello, good news everyone! (sort of)

We recently updated maven to version 2.2.1 in rawhide (soon to be F14
branch) and with this update certain bugs/problems creeped in. I'd say
most are fixed now but update to javadoc plugin is causing maven
projects that have multiple modules to fail with something like this:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:2.7:javadoc': Unable to
load the mojo 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:2.7:javadoc'
in the plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin'. A required
class is missing: org/apache/maven/shared/invoker/MavenInvocationException
org.apache.maven.shared.invoker.MavenInvocationException

Solution to this problem is to use javadoc:aggregate goal instead of
javadoc:javadoc. This adds the benefit of having single inter-linked
javadocs for all modules available. We will try to find real reason for
this problem later, but for now this is the best solution.

So I repeat:
 * Use javadoc:aggregate to generate javadocs for multiple-module maven
   projects

Thanks for tuning in,

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>