Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:40:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:57 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> > -1 didn't the last time we started using a pre-release from Mozilla turn
> > out pretty bad for us?
>
> That was Firefox 3.0 included as RC in Fedora 9, from an user
> perspective my memories about it are sweet... it was worse with
> Thunderbird 3, which was included in a release (F11) in Beta stage, and
> not even a late beta, it was something like Beta2, but AFAIK Firefox is
> expected to be RC around F14.
>
> And while Thunderbird 3 was included due to the slow development pace of
> the upstream (we used to have a very old Tb 2), Firefox 4 comes with at
> least a killer feature, WebM (IIRC, another killer feature is the new js
> engine)
...which is already present in all currently maintained fedora releases
via webkitgtk (midori, epiphany, kazehakase, ...). Now, that is a *real
killer feature*... I'm not sure about the js engine but something tells
me it's still slower than webkit's or chromium's or opera's...

Sorry, I'm -1 for FF4 in F14. It's second beta now and scheduled release
is around F14 release, which is too late (not counting in account that
they'll most likely slip with their release...).

Martin