coprs and personal repos: [Was: Re: Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?]

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 28 19:37:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 14:12 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Maybe baby steps?  Small incremental changes.  Sure some features will be
> missing that kopers will provide.  But perhaps we could just create a
> Fedora-13-devel tag in koji, push it to it's own repo or to individual
> fedora-13-spot / fedora-13-mmcgrath repos.  One that doesn't migrate to
> updates-testing or updates.  It just sits there.

> We're going to need something like this when kopers comes out anyway
> right?  I figure smaller steps towards that goal is better then one big
> one.

Toshio and I have talked about the targets of coprs and what the
problems are we're trying to solve. Here are the problems:

1. I want to build these pkgs which have small patches to what's in
fedora but I don't have the archs to build them on
   :solved by scratch builds in koji

2. I want to build these pkgs which have patches/changes to what's in
fedora but I don't have the machines to build them on
   :solved by scratch builds in koji

3. I want to build these pkgs which have patches/changes to what's in
fedora but I don't have a place to host them
   :provided, but not explicitly encouraged or endorsed by
fedorapeople.org

4. I want to build these pkgs and they have new deps on pkgs which are
not in fedora and I need to chain-build them from arbitrary
   :not provided by anything currently since you cannot build pkgs in
koji with arbitrary deps from arbitrary repos.

Item 4 is the main point that has been the big ticket item that things
like Canonical's PPAs have hit.

Since the other 3 had some relatively-possible solution Toshio and I
started down the path of solving #4 since that was the only explicitly
unsolved problem.

Now - I think it would be perfectly reasonable for us to come up with a
better/more official solution for #3. It's pretty simple to implement.
We could setup a:
http://repos.fedoraproject.org/$username/reponame/

it would be as simple as a subdir/path on the current fedorapeople (but
using the repos hostname so we could move it later if needs demanded it)

so - in theory we could have repos like:

http://repos.fp.o/skvidal/func-future/
or
http://repos.fp.o/func-group/func-future/

and extend out from there.

then when item #4 is fully solved we could move this hierarchy to be
used by coprs.

It's a good place to start.

-sv