coprs and personal repos: [Was: Re: Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?]

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 22:10:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 15:37 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 14:12 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > Maybe baby steps?  Small incremental changes.  Sure some features will be
> > missing that kopers will provide.  But perhaps we could just create a
> > Fedora-13-devel tag in koji, push it to it's own repo or to individual
> > fedora-13-spot / fedora-13-mmcgrath repos.  One that doesn't migrate to
> > updates-testing or updates.  It just sits there.
>

> > We're going to need something like this when kopers comes out anyway
> > right?  I figure smaller steps towards that goal is better then one big
> > one.
>
> Toshio and I have talked about the targets of coprs and what the
> problems are we're trying to solve. Here are the problems:
>
> 1. I want to build these pkgs which have small patches to what's in
> fedora but I don't have the archs to build them on
>    :solved by scratch builds in koji
>
> 2. I want to build these pkgs which have patches/changes to what's in
> fedora but I don't have the machines to build them on
>    :solved by scratch builds in koji
>
> 3. I want to build these pkgs which have patches/changes to what's in
> fedora but I don't have a place to host them
>    :provided, but not explicitly encouraged or endorsed by
> fedorapeople.org
>
> 4. I want to build these pkgs and they have new deps on pkgs which are
> not in fedora and I need to chain-build them from arbitrary
>    :not provided by anything currently since you cannot build pkgs in
> koji with arbitrary deps from arbitrary repos.
>

> Item 4 is the main point that has been the big ticket item that things
> like Canonical's PPAs have hit.

They also hit the Staples Easy Button about 1000 times.  If there's a
case to be made that this should be easy to do, then we should add
tolling to common/Makefile to:

1) make an srpm
2) build it as a scratch build in koji
3) automatically download the built packages
4) scp them to your fedorapeople account
5) run createrepo remotely on the fp account
6) generate a yum .repo file for the repo and print out a link to it or
something

ie, enable doing this with *one* command in the dist-cvs/git checkout,
like 'make ppa' or 'fedpkg ppa' that will do all these steps for you.

Dan