Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 21:38:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 23:28 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> Speaking of which, is there any chance to split ffmpeg into free (which
> could be included in fedora) and nonfree part? IIRC we've done something
> like that with xine-lib-extras and gst-plugins-bad in the past...

ffmpeg, unfortunately, isn't set up to be modularised like this; you
can't build an ffmpeg-free with the free codecs and an ffmpeg-patented
with the patented ones and have them co-exist nicely. So an ffmpeg build
with almost all the codecs ripped out in the Fedora repos would
'compete' with the full build in That Other Repo, not complement it, and
the way the two repos are set up, it would be tricky to have a
handicapped build in the Fedora repo and a full build in That Other One
and have it easy for people to pick the one from That Other Repo (since
Other Repo packages use the same disttag as Fedora ones).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey