The move to git!

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 19:15:31 UTC 2010

> On 07/30/2010 02:13 AM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Ok, so trying to update a package (libass) I've noticed a tiny problem:
> > the fedpkg switch-branch does not seem to set up proper tracking of
> > remote branches which then results in (uhm, I'm using git commit -a and
> > git push, so you maybe handle this in fedpkg commit -p):
> >
> > pyfedpkg.FedpkgError: There are unpushed changes in your repo
> >
> > fedora-packager-0.5.0.1-3.fc12.noarch
>
> This is my fault, I did all my design and testing with a git setting of
> "push.default tracking" which instructs git to "push" to whatever branch
> I'm tracking (which makes perfect sense to me, why isn't it a defaut?).

This is probably for historical reasons. Apparently (from what I've
quickly googled up) the only behaviour in older git was to push *all*
matching branches (not sure how it decides it's matching, but probably
it's 'merge' in branch config + same name), but newer git has more
options[1]:
'nothing' : Do not push anything
'matching' : Push all matching branches (default)
'tracking' : Push the current branch to whatever it is tracking
'current'  : Push the current branch

while defaulting (as hinted above) to the old behaviour.

Martin