systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 1 00:34:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26.05.10 12:57, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/public/dbus.service.
>
> Note the ExecStartPre here, like most daemons, is conceptually busted.
>  There's no reason we shouldn't lay that file down once when the OS is
> installed, and not check it every boot.  Or alternatively, just move
> the uuid generation into the daemon itself.

I think it kinda makes sense to to leave the uuid generating for the
first boot, simply to make it easy to generate a hdd image during
installation which can tzhen be booted from various machines, where each
of them will then get its own uuid.

But yes, I too think that dbus itself should just create that uuid on
startup.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net