systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 1 02:52:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 29.05.10 19:48, Roberto Ragusa (mail at robertoragusa.it) wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> >>
> >> You're suggesting hammering shut the insides of linux to stop people
> >> playing around and reducing freedom - sounds like you want Fedora to be
> >> like the products of other large propitiatory systems.
> >
> > C code can be changed too, if really needed. But the point is that it should
> > not be necessary to edit code at all to get what's needed.
>
> Well, I really do not want to flame anyone, but please consider that
> the guy proposing the change already gave us pulseaudio, which promised the
> "it will do anything you do now, just easier" feature too.

Ah, turning this into something personal. Love you too.

> We then discovered that some _trivial_ things where lost:
> - having multiple independent sound cards
> - having control of the mixer
> - having sound with no user logged in
> ... should I also mention latency, CPU usage, stability,...?

You seem to have no idea what you are talking about. But anyway, let's
not turn this into a discussion about PA. Don't need another one of those.

> Linux must NOT be Windows.
> Linux must NOT be OS X.

Well I for one think we can learn a lot from the competition. Open your
eyes. There's a lot of good stuff in those other OS worlds, particularly
in the designs of MacOS X. There's still so much they do better than we
do.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net