syslog-ng

Peter Czanik pczanik at fang.fa.gau.hu
Wed Jun 2 10:56:44 UTC 2010

Hello,

>> I'm looking for information, how to get a package (in my case:
>> syslog-ng) updated to the latest available version. First I tried to
>> contact the original syslog-ng packagers directly, but I got no response
>> at all. Here on the list I got some questions about the new syslog-ng
>> version, but while I update my rawhide installation quite often, I still
>> did not see an update for syslog-ng.
>>
>> Now I looked around on the Fedora wiki, how I could to the packaging
>> work myself. I found a page with many interesting details:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join , but this seems
>> to be for packagers joining to add a new package. How could I get an
>> existing package upgraded?
>>
>> Bye,
>> CzP
>>
> Have you opened a bugzilla requesting the update?
>
> I think you need to sign up and work to become a provenpackager.

I did not open a bugzilla request yet, but it does not seem to be
appropriate any more, as syslog-ng and related libraries seem to be
dropped from Fedora (it is the same on FC13 and rawhide):

[root at fedora13 ~]# yum install syslog-ng
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package syslog-ng.i686 0:2.1.4-6.fc12 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libevtlog.so.0 for package:
syslog-ng-2.1.4-6.fc12.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libnet.so.1 for package:
syslog-ng-2.1.4-6.fc12.i686
--> Running transaction
check
---> Package eventlog.i686 0:0.2.7-4.fc12 set to be
updated
---> Package libnet.i686 0:1.1.4-3.fc12 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

====================================================================================================
 Package                 Arch               Version
Repository            Size
====================================================================================================
Installing:
 syslog-ng               i686               2.1.4-6.fc12
fedora               138 k
Installing for dependencies:
 eventlog                i686               0.2.7-4.fc12
fedora                16 k
 libnet                  i686               1.1.4-3.fc12
fedora                49 k

Transaction Summary
====================================================================================================
Install       3 Package(s)
Upgrade       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 204 k
Installed size: 638 k
Is this ok [y/N]:
Exiting on user Command
Complete!
[root at fedora13 ~]#

So the question is modified: how can I get it (and the supporting
packages) back into Fedora. I have now updated the syslog-ng spec file
from Fedora 12 to syslog-ng version 3.1.1 and compiled with mock on FC12
FC13 and Rawhide. These packages work fine, except for SElinux, as there
is an additional control socket now and some rlimit settings. I'll have
a separate e-mail about it.

And a bonus question, as I work now for the upstream developer of
syslog-ng: what was the reason for dropping syslog-ng from the distribution?

Bye,
CzP