culmus-fonts packaging bug / Non-responsive maintainer

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 11:33:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:12:08 +0900, Mamoru wrote:

> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/570819

> I will vote that this must be fixed in yum side (or fontconfig or rpm).

It could be that a policy is needed. Similar to
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Non-ASCII_Filenames
but for RPM Tags (Provides, Requires, Obsoletes, …).

As long as the encoding of those tags cannot be specified, it must be
assumed that it is UTF-8.

> Also:
> [tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ rpm -q vlgothic-p-fonts
> vlgothic-p-fonts-20100416-3.fc14.noarch
> [tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --provides vlgothic-p-fonts | grep "ゴシック"
> font(vlpゴシック)

It doesn't cause the repo metadata parser to complain, so probably
it's UTF-8.

> So I guess this issue will affect other fonts related packages.

I share those concerns.