i386-class support changed in F-13?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jun 2 14:13:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 08:19:24 +0100,
  Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 06/02/2010 12:09 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> It does work in F-12, the response for the lack of support in F-13 was
> >> 'deal with it'. There is suppose to be a patch to emulate it in the
> >> kernel but apparently it won't go upstream until its a generic infra
> >> patch that can allow support of other emulated bits in other cpus in a
> >> generic way. So its possible it will come back, but I don't hold up
> >> hope of a quick resolution. Which leaves us in a big predicament as to
> >> how we're going to support the 1.5 million odd XO-1s out there moving
> >> forward.
> >>

> > Can you file a ticket with FESCo?  Would be useful to track and resolve
> > this issue.
>
> I will do. I'll gather up all the bits I have an add it to the ticket.

Thanks.

This issue points out a gap in our QA testing.
Fixing it now could end up being painful (if we need to rebuild lots of
packages). Catching it earlier would have made that (lots of rebuilds)
a lot more palatible.

Also the process for changing which instructions gets used in generated
code should be looked at. The gcc people should not just be deciding this
in a vacuum. Even changing some instructions to emulation could potentially
have big performance impacts.