i386-class support changed in F-13?

David Michael fedora.dm0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:23:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> It does work in F-12, the response for the lack of support in F-13 was
> 'deal with it'. There is suppose to be a patch to emulate it in the
> kernel but apparently it won't go upstream until its a generic infra
> patch that can allow support of other emulated bits in other cpus in a
> generic way. So its possible it will come back, but I don't hold up
> hope of a quick resolution. Which leaves us in a big predicament as to
> how we're going to support the 1.5 million odd XO-1s out there moving
> forward.

  I believe this was the latest post of the NOPL emulation patch:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/3/1/430  This is not the general instruction
emulator mentioned, but a fix intended just for getting the Geode LX
classed as i686.

  I haven't used this patch myself yet; my Geode LX machine runs an
older Fedora, so it still works.  I suppose I'll need to try the patch
during the next upgrade until things are settled.