-upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jun 2 16:37:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 02.06.10 08:12, Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) wrote:

> Assuming moving forward a maintainer has the option to support
> sysinitv, upstart and systemd, what can be done to make sure the
> correct init configuration is loaded on the system? Other than
> including all the configs in the base package..I'm not sure I have a
> useful suggestion for a solution to selection. And even then, if you
> have the sysinitv installed side-by-side with the native upstart or
> systemd config is that going to cause a conflict?

Handling this with systemd is very easy: you can just drop in a file in
/etc/init.d/foo *AND* /etc/systemd/system/foo.service from the same
package. And then, if something that is not systemd is booted it will
only see the init script. And if systemd is booted it will first look at
the native service and ignore the init script if both exist. ALl that
matters is that the "foo" part for both filenames is the same.

We wanted to make the transition from sysv to systemd very easy, and I
think this is the simplemost scheme we could come up with. During a
transition period packages should just ship both files and it'll work
with both init systems.

I am not sure Upstart provides a similar scheme. I don't think so
however.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net