-upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:10:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> That would require systemd to be installed though, since otherwise
> /etc/systemd doesn't exist (or every package that wants to drop a file
> in there has to own it).
>
> I guess the directory could be added to chkconfig or even filesystem.

That's an important note for the upcoming discussion over systemd
integration.  Having filesystem own the directory seems like the
reasonable solution as part of systemd introduction...if it is decided
that systemd is meant to be removable.  That's an open question.

Currently initscripts requires upstart explicitly for example.  If the
decision is made to use systemd instead...I fully expect that systemd
will be a hard requirement for initscripts in a similar fashion to
what we have right now as part of the systemd integration feature.

And these upstart subpackages arent the only examples of upstart
native scripts. vpnc seems to have grown a native upstart script
already..with no sysinitv backup.  We are already in the rabbithole.

-jef