FC13 nss-softokn-freebl update issues

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 19:51:59 UTC 2010

Robert Relyea (rrelyea at redhat.com) said:
> > It's due to the fact that nss-softokn-freebl (actually, *all* the nss/nspr
> > libraires) do not fit the normal library naming, so it's not explicitly pulled for
> > multilib. For any update or release set that's composed with a package that explicitly
> > requires a compat arch of nss-softokn-freebl (such as glibc, libpurple,
> > pam_pkcs11, etc.), it will get pulled in via dependency resolution. F-13
> > updates has none of these, so it doesn't.
> >
> > We could add some hacks to mash to get it pulled in, but I must ask...
> > why do all the NSS/NSPR libraries version their libraries in the library
> > name instead of the so version (i.e., libfreebl3.so instead of
> > libfreebl.so.3)?
> >
> Because upstream selected it's names before linux naming was anything
> like widespread.
>
> nss/nspr upstream was also unusual in considering binary compatibility
> breakage a sev 1 bug. It's expected that old apps run against new versions.
>
> One good side effect of this is there is no name colision in the
> libraries between Network Security Services and Name Switch Select, nor
> NSS's libssl3.so and openssl's libssl.so.

OK. Copying from the bug:

There are two 'simple' fixes for this that don't involve hotfixing the push
infrastructure:

1) For all nss/nspr packages that don't have .so symlinks in their devel
packages, add %{?_isa} to the requires in the devel packages.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ArchSpecificRequires for
a packaging draft for this.

For example, that would change, in nss-softokn-freebl-devel:

Requires:         nss-softokn-freebl = %{version}-%{release}
to:
Requires:         nss-softokn-freebl%{?_isa} = %{version}-%{release}

in nss-softokn-freebl-devel,

Requires:         nss-softokn = %{version}-%{release}
Requires:         nss-softokn%{?_isa} = %{version}-%{release}

in nss-softokn-devel, and so on.

The reason this is needed is that for most -devel pacakges, there is automatic
dependencies added on the proper library package due to following the '.so'
devel symlink to the main library. This doesn't work for nss/nspr, as the
-devel packages don't have these symlinks.

2) Wait for either of https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/glibc-2.12-2 or
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/pidgin-2.7.1-2.fc13 to be pushed to
stable, as those will pull in the i686 nss-softokn-freebl through library
dependencies.

Bill