Package maintainers -- want test results by mail?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 2 22:15:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 23:15 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2010, James Antill wrote:
>
> >  The self obsolete ones are wrong, being able to do:
> >
> > Name: foo
> > Provide: bar = 2
> > Obsolete: bar <= 2
> >
> > ...is completely legal and needed for rename/merging
>
> Yes (assuming you mean "Obsoletes: bar < 2", not "<= 2").

 No, I didn't. Obsoletes only work on package names, not on provides so
it doesn't matter that the provide and obsolete overlap.

> Self-obsoletion used to cause problems in various tools in the past.  I don't
> know if all of them contain workarounds nowadays, but on the other hand I
> don't think I've ever seen an actual valid use case for self-obsoletion.

 Yeh, I looked at the bug but I'm not sure what it is for. If anything
it's probably a yum bug but the only one I know about is:

http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=568eaf5b88f376a1822396fd9dc7324d1aed23ea

...which was a while ago, and didn't cause much damage.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching