-upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 03:11:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:18:59AM +0800, Chen Lei wrote:
> 2010/6/3 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> >>
> > This is intended to tell people that SystemVinit scripts are mandatory for
> > services managed by the init system.  But providing native upstart as an
> > addition (or initng, minit, etc) is not prohibited by this.
> >
> > -Toshio
> >

> I don't think provide both upstart and initscript for one package will
> benefic fedora, especially in the scenario when the upstart scripts
> have seriously functional regression compared with initscripts.
> Currently, only one packager provide both upstart scripts and
> initscripts.
>
> We currently don't have a policy about upstart scripts, however a
> single person to change his packaging style agaist all other packagers
> in the repo will confuse many linux users or system administators.
>
> Before opposing me, you can look at those -upstart subpackages, you'll
> found they are not as good as you imagined. They are different from
> other system upstart scripts.

I'm not going to oppose you on the ground that enrico has written good
packages; I'll oppose you on the groupnd that it's not the job of Fedora to
prevent people from providing functionality above the minimum.

If someone would let the FPC know how to write good upstart scripts and
packages we could certainly write up minimum requirements for the case where
someone does want to package an upstart script.

-Toshio