JBoss stalled (was Re: status of some packages ??)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jun 4 20:10:14 UTC 2010

On 06/04/2010 12:26 PM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Dne 3.6.2010 21:09, Tom "spot" Callaway napsal(a):
>> You might feel that way, but the simple fact is that French citizens can
>> not abandon copyright (aka put works into the Public Domain).
>
> Do we have some better authority on this than Wikipedia? In my
> understanding (in a dim memory, now long-time inactive lawyer), dual
> character of copyright under the copyright law in the continental law
> tradition could mean, that waiver of copyright is partially invalid (in
> the part concerned with personal rights of owner), but perfectly valid
> in the right to exploit economical character of the work, which is all
> what matters here anyway. I would really like to see some opinion of the
> real European IP law on the matter. Does anybody have URL?

Matěj, as I'm sure you know, we could find a lawyer who would tell us
just about anything we wanted to hear. I consulted with Red Hat Legal,
and the conclusion that we came to was that it was not possible for the
copyright holders to abandon their copyright on this work due to their
jurisdiction, thus, we cannot include it as-is and need to clarify a
license for the work.

~spot