culmus-fonts packaging bug / Non-responsive maintainer

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jun 6 17:51:45 UTC 2010

Le mercredi 02 juin 2010 à 13:33 +0200, Michael Schwendt a écrit :
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:12:08 +0900, Mamoru wrote:
>
> > > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/570819
>
> > I will vote that this must be fixed in yum side (or fontconfig or rpm).
>
> It could be that a policy is needed. Similar to
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Non-ASCII_Filenames
> but for RPM Tags (Provides, Requires, Obsoletes, …).
>
> As long as the encoding of those tags cannot be specified, it must be
> assumed that it is UTF-8.
>
> > Also:
> > [tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ rpm -q vlgothic-p-fonts
> > vlgothic-p-fonts-20100416-3.fc14.noarch
> > [tasaka1 at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --provides vlgothic-p-fonts | grep "ゴシック"
> > font(vlpゴシック)
>
> It doesn't cause the repo metadata parser to complain, so probably
> it's UTF-8.

Those tags are info extracted by fontconfig from font files, and
fontconfig is UTF-8-clean I think. Since fonts are created all over the
world some can (and do) export local names, that can not be restricted
to basic latin (and sometimes there is not basic latin name at all)

If you find a case where fontconfig output is not UTF-8 please open a
fontconfig bug. This output is not used only in rpm, and needs to be
safely encoded for apps to use it.

--
Nicolas Mailhot