-upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jun 6 18:32:24 UTC 2010

Le mercredi 02 juin 2010 à 18:37 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> Handling this with systemd is very easy: you can just drop in a file in
> /etc/init.d/foo *AND* /etc/systemd/system/foo.service from the same
> package. And then, if something that is not systemd is booted it will
> only see the init script. And if systemd is booted it will first look at
> the native service and ignore the init script if both exist. ALl that
> matters is that the "foo" part for both filenames is the same.

If systemd is supposed to do everything sysv can, only in a cleaner way,
could not systemd generate sysv scripts from its own definitions? That
way a packager that systemd-ized its package would only have to worry
about the systemd declaration, and something perfectly in sync would be
generated for people using other init systems.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect people to maintain multiple
init declarations manually. They will drift, have different bugs, etc.
If there is a need for the sysv declarations to stay a long time, they
need to be either the only ones, or be generated from the new-style
ones.

--
Nicolas Mailhot