llvm case study: yum's handling of newly-converted noarch subpackages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 9 04:54:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 09 June 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I don't buy your argument and trashing anyone's opinion you disagree
> with you as "crap" and "nonsense" is hardly going to help make your
> case.   Excluding a dependency and setting a multi_lib option is hardly
> the same thing.  Anyway,  I am pretty sure none of the yum developers
> are going to agree with your view point either.  Again,  it in our
> responsibility towards users to include options that we can support or
> mark them as unsupported.

Good luck going through the hundreds of thousands of options of our hundreds
of packages and listing all the ones we don't support for whatever reason. By
the time such a list would be completed, it'd already be decades out of date
and thus completely useless!

If you set a non-default option and your software doesn't work, the obvious
answer is "Don't Do That Then".

        Kevin Kofler