pidgin obsoleting itself

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 9 10:23:49 UTC 2010

On 09/06/10 11:06, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> 2010/6/9 Chen Lei<supercyper1 at gmail.com>:
>
>> But in this case, the obsoletes seems excessive, since
>> pidgin-evolution already depends on pidgin.  If pidgin-evolution don't
>> depend on pidgin, the obsoletes is a must, without it pidgin will be
>> replaced by pidgin-evolution.
>
> If it pidgin-evolution was previously in main package, then this
> obsoletes is required. W/o this requires users may suffer from missing
> functionality after upgrade.
>
> Briefly:
>
> * We need to split off p.-e, from pidgin

Fine.

> * We need to install both of them while upgrading (Obsoletes in
> pidgin-evo) in order not to loose functionality.

The Obsoletes: in pidgin-evo causes pidgin-evo to be pulled in, which is
fine. The package should obsolete pidgin packages prior to the split but
not the ones after the split.

> * We need to not erase main pidgin (Obsoletes in pidgin)

Not needed if pidgin-evo depends on pidgin itself - the regular
dependency mechanism should pull the main pidgin package in. And since
the new pidgin package is versioned later than the split, it's no longer
obsoleted by the pidgin-evo subpackage. Does that not work?

Paul.