pidgin obsoleting itself

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 9 18:39:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 19:23 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:10:10 -0400, James wrote:
> > which is to say you have:
> >
> > 1. pkgA-1 contains two files: /usr/bin/A and /usr/bin/A-blah
> >
> > 2. You now want to have pkgA-2 and pkgA-blah-2, which each contain a
> > single file.
> >
> > 3. You want anyone who had pkgA-1 to have both pkgA-2 and pkgA-blah-2
> > (because that's what they had before).
> >
> > ...if at the end of the "split" you want "yum install pkgA" to install
> > pkgA-blah (or vice versa), then it's not _just_ a split and you probably
> > want to use a Requires (as you would if pkgA-2/pkgA-blah-2 were the
> > first versions). You can do this instead of the obsoletes, but I don't
> > see the point.
>
> If at the end of the split user does "yum install pkgA-blah-2", this
> erases pkgA-1 ... unless pkgA-blah-2 strictly requires pkgA-2, which
> is not always desired.

 And if the user never has pkgA-1 installed, and does "install
pkgA-blah" then that's all they'll get. To put it another way when the
user first installed pkgA-1 they could have wanted:

1. What pkgA-2 and pkgA-blah-2 provide.

2. What pkgA-2 provides.

3. What pkgA-blah-2 provides.

...but they got #1 because that was all pkgA-1 provided. Now there is a
package split and the user can choose any of #1, #2 or #3.
 If you only want them to be able to choose between #1 and #2 (or #1 and
#3) then you need some kind of requires _as well_. But that's because
you have some requirement _as well_ as just a package split.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.28
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumBenchmarks
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumHistory