dist-git project update

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jun 10 21:44:47 UTC 2010

It's been a while since I last updated folks on dist-git, and in reality
it's been a while since I last worked on it.  Fedora 13 took up all my
time.

Since my last update we've made great progress on fedpkg, the new tool
that will replace the make system.  It is packaged up with
fedora-packager and has the ability to do many tasks that our Make
system handled.  Here is a quick list:

build
chainbuild
clean
clog
clone
compile
gimmespec
install
lint
local
mockbuild
new
new_sources
prep
scratchbuild
sources
srpm
unusedpatches
verrel

Many of these targets take optional arguments which extend their
functionality and replace some other specific Make targets.  This list
is enough to get us checking code out and in, and building in koji.

On the koji front we've recently discovered the changes necessary to
build from dist-git style repos, and those changes are being polished up
and committed upstream.  We have done multiple builds successfully from
dist-git repos.

Where do we go from here?

We're ready for more wide scale testing, and to facilitate that I am
refreshing the git repos from current CVS (people with existing clones
will have to blow them away and re-clone), and getting a koji stage
instance up that we can build against (with limited builders).  We'll
then push out another fedora-packager update that has the right URLs to
build against this stage Koji and announce that it is ready for
building.

Based on this testing, and some decisions around git tagging and branch
usage, we stand a good chance at being able to roll this out prior to
the F14 branch event.  I hope you are all as excited as I am about this!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!