pidgin obsoleting itself

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Fri Jun 11 00:46:39 UTC 2010

Getting back to the topic of this original email...

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 09:40, Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny at gmail.com> wrote:
> pidgin-2.7.1-2.fc13 obsoletes pidgin <= 2.7.1-1.fc13, is that meaningful?

Yes, it's meaningful because it allows updates to pidgin > 2.7.1-1 to
pull in the pidgin-evolution package without requiring an explicit
dependency on pidgin-evolution (which was the whole point of splitting
out the sub-package in the first place, see bug #581144)

> At least it causes package-manager to display an irritating (and
> somehow bogus) warning box that it's going to remove pidgin, and needs
> confirmation for that.

I'm not sure which "package-manager" this is, but I suggest the fix is
to make "package-manager" not display this warning if it is not really
removing pidgin.

Regards,

Stu.