dist-git project update

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:26:45 UTC 2010

Hi Jesse,

On 11 June 2010 22:57, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 17:21 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
>>
>> Is it necessary to do fedpkg clone ?
>> Or can regular git be used ?
>>

> Not necessary at all.  The current url is
> pkgs.stg.fedoraproject.org/<package>  and that works with git:// and
> ssh://.  One advantage to using fedpkg clone is that if you like the
> current directory layout where each release is a subdir, you can do
> 'fedpkg clone --branches' and you'll get that layout.  You can also do
> fedpkg clone -b <branch> and get a checkout of the specific branch
> listed.  By no means is fedpkg required for the clones and commits, but
> it is a convenience that some will like to use, and will likely be the
> "documented" way of doing things.

I'm really keen to see this come off as I think pretty much everyone
is and look forward to the day when we all bid cvs goodbye. Would it
not be saner to extend git through a plugin to provide fedora-specific
stuff rather than use a new, separate command like fedpkg? Might help
the migration if people understand that they are essentially using git
with a few fedora options instead.

Just a thought.

Regards

--