dist-git project update

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 11:43:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 03:59:15PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 01:05:38AM +0530, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
> > I second that, unless there are some obvious advantages which I cannot
> > see. In case there are some it would be great if they get mentioned in
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Proposal
>
> Linked from there:
>
>   Current Pain Points
>
>     * No atomic commits
>     * Not being able to work offline (cvs add needs a server, wtf.)
>     * Adding sources can be "weird", can easily clobber existing sources
>     * Can't handle big files well
>     * CVS bogons/bonghits/grimlins/websuckage
>     * Prohibitively expensive to reconstruct infrastructure outside our
>       environment
>     * Better handling of force-tag
>     * Commits are SLOW!!!
>     * Common dir, wtf.
>     * Really really unreliable (especially with a lot of actions or
>       continuous actions)
>     * Prep work to get into package source control is done outside of source
>       control. No opportunity to learn the tools

      * changes are not content-addressed
      * difficult to reliable compare two trees (repositories)
      * branches are useless, difficult to maintain, merge, ...
      * does not support distributed development (how I can clone my
        fedora pkg SCM at fedorapeople?)
      * does not allow to track more remote repositories in one local
        repository
      * does not support GPG-signed tags
      * impossible to read patches from e-mail, send well formatted
        patches by email, ...
      * commit messages are very poor and not integrated to patches
      * does not differentiate between patch author and committer
      * browse project history is difficult and SLOW
      * cvs log/status is horrible, unreadable and unformattable
      * brain dead web interface
      * bad documentation
      * no active development of CVS
      * many developer use already git and Fedora is the last place where
        they have to fight with CVS

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>