gethostbyname() and resolv.conf updates

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jun 18 13:59:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Sorry, my reply was more directed against the assertion that NSCD should
> be mandatory to solve this without changes to glibc. I agree that it
> would be ideal for gethostbyname() to internally perform a res_init()
> when appropriate.

Ok, then we agree.  I don't personally care whether it's NSCD or a
magical oracle as long as our operating system's gethostbyname()
function actually functions on mobile devices.  (Caching DNS would be
a huge bonus, as other operating systems do this and us not doing so
makes the internet "feel" significantly, visibly slower compared to
them, but that's a separate bug)